Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rest in Peace, Ruby Dee



It fills me with great sadness to even have to write this. I've felt that "twist feeling" in my heart since I logged on to Twitter only to see that the legend and pioneer, Ms. Ruby Dee, had passed away.




For me, Ruby Dee was a legend who'd been legendary long before I was even born--Ruby Dee, her late husband, Ossie Davis, the late Maya Angelou, Lena Horne--these are people who are so great and so rooted in our arts/entertainment industry that for some reason, the longevity gave me this silly notion that they'd never pass away. However, it goes without saying that such notions are brought to reality when in fact, these legends make their peace with the world and say their final goodbye (or see you later).

 Words cannot express just how saddened I am by this news. However, I am certain that the sadness I feel comes nowhere near what her friends and family are feeling. My thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to them tonight. 

She said she planned to have her ashes placed in the same urn as her husband’s, with an inscription written by Davis, “In this thing together.”

In 2008, Ms. Dee described the epitaph to Jet magazine: “If I leave any thought behind, it is that. We were in this thing together, so let’s love each other right now. Let’s make sense of things right now. Let’s make it count somehow right now, because we are in this thing together.” [The Washington Post]


From VibeVixen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rude comments will be deleted. Irrelevant comments will be ignored.